Friday, February 11, 2011

Above Reproach - Titus 2:6-8

"Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us."
- Titus 2:6-8

       This verse really caught my attention last night.Paul is writing to one of his converted companions and significant helpers in his ministry, Titus. In this passage, Paul is calling Titus as a leader to set an example and be above reproach. These are obvious things like self-control and walking in purity; your "standard" leadership requirements. What I think caught me off guard was in verse 8. 

"Show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. 

       Not only is Paul admonishing Titus to walk as a leader for the sake of the young Christians, but also as a shield against the enemy. Every stumbling or area of lacking allows those who oppose a foothold to steer you away from righteousness. Paul is calling Titus to be above reproach. For instance, a court hearing would find him innocent in every sense of the word, both physically and spiritually.

       How does this apply to me? Let me back track. On Wednesday of this past week I attended the bi-weekly meeting of student leadership chaplains at George Fox, of which I am one. During one portion of the meeting, we went around the circle and updated everyone about what we were doing and how things were going, and then the others would speak a word or phrase of how they see God working in or through their life, etc. When it got to me, multiple people brought up this sense of foundation, a solid rock. One said that he saw me as that solid rock and foundation on which ministries and opportunities will succeed and flourish. This really meant a lot to me, as just this week I started feeling a change coming in me (and as a result started this blog).

       I am called to be a leader and solid foundation in the ministries I'm involved in. If I am to be indeed solid, I must be above reproach. That means I must be 100% committed to all that qualifies a leader in God's eyes. 99% will not be enough...not just because I need to set an example, but because it's critical that I uphold the armor of God and stand above whatever may try to take me down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, leave a message :)